Rules & Regulations

Policy on Assistive Mobility Aids in Campgrounds (KY)

Policy on Assistive Mobility Aids in Campgrounds (VA)

Policy on Assistive Mobility Aids in Campgrounds (WV)

Policy on Use of Manned Submersible Vessels

Rules & Regulations

Cliff Jumping/Diving is Prohibited on all Huntington District Lakes

Cliff Jumping/Diving is Prohibited on all Huntington District Lakes. This restriction applies to the following lakes in Huntington District: Alum Creek, Deer Creek, Delaware, Dillon, North Branch of Kokosing, and Paint Creek Lakes in Ohio; Beech Fork, Bluestone, Burnsville, East Lynn, R.D. Bailey, Summersville, and Sutton Lakes in West Virginia; Dewey, Fishtrap, Grayson, Paintsville, and Yatesville Lakes in Kentucky; and John W. Flannagan in Virginia.

Violators may be punished by a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for not more than six months or both.

Group Activities and Events held on Corps Property

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Huntington District, will give consideration to allowing various training activities and special recreation events to be held at Corps facilities on a first-come, first-served basis. These activities and events are separated into two categories:  

1) Training Activities/Exercises

2) Special Event Permits.

Individuals or groups seeking permission to hold these activities or events must first contact the Lake Manager or Lockmaster at the facility they propose to use. A list of the lakes and locks and dam facilities within the District can be found under the LOCATIONS tab on the main page of this website.

1)      Training Activities/Exercises

If individuals or organizations wish to conduct a training activity or exercise on property managed by the Corps, they should first contact the Lake Manager or Lockmaster at the site where they propose to hold their activity. The Lake Manager or Lockmaster will take the request and if he/she has no objection, will forward the request to the Huntington District Office, Real Estate Division, for processing of a short term license agreement. Liability insurance will also be required to cover all individuals who will be involved in the exercise for their protection.  The exception to this would be if the training site is located on property that is leased by the Corps to a state or other government entity to manage, such as a state park. In this case, the state or other agency managing the facility will grant permission and issue a permit. 

Examples of Training Activities/Exercises include swift water rescues, mock drowning and recovery exercises, fire suppression, law enforcement, and medical emergency types of activities, etc.   

2)      Special Event Permits

The sponsoring individual or organization interested in holding a special recreation event must obtain a Special Event Permit from the Lake Manager or Lockmaster at the facility where they propose to hold the event. To begin the process of obtaining a permit, initial contact should be made with the Lake Manager or Lockmaster to inform him or her of the proposed event and to obtain a permit application. A permit application is available for your convenience. The application must be submitted 60 days prior to the event. The applicant must provide all the information needed for a full evaluation of the event, including a detailed description of the event, and to address liability insurance, emergency medical services, law enforcement assistance, parking and crowd control, concessions, fees, cost analysis, etc. There is a $75 permit fee for the issuance of each Special Event Permit, to be collected in advance of the event, as well as, advanced collection of any damage deposits if applicable.

Examples of Special Event Permits (recreation in nature), include boat regattas, water festivals, 5 k runs, music festivals, boat races, and other types of recreation programs of interest to the general public.

Frequently Asked Questions for Special Event Permits

Q: Why do I need a Special Event Permit to hold my event?

A: Since special events typically go beyond the normal range of activities at our lakes or locks and dam facilities, it is important for your event to be closely monitored to insure public safety and protection of the resources.

Q: Why do I need to provide insurance as a requirement of this permit program?

A: Liability insurance is important for all those that attend your event if injury were to occur to them. This is especially important for their protection since the U.S. Government is not responsible for damages to property or injuries to persons which arise from or are incident to your event.

Q: My event is on a state park that is leased from the Corps; do I still need a permit?

A: In the Huntington District a Special Event Permit is not required if your event is held within the boundaries of the leased property where the lessee holds a parks and recreation lease. State parks normally have their own permitting program. However, if a portion of your event is held outside the leased area, then you will need a Special Event Permit from the Corps.